1960s Danish Kastrup Glas (Holmegaard) Pair of 'Kluk Kluk' Clear Glass Decanters by Jacob E Bang
THE ITEM The 'Kluk Kluk' carafe has become a well-recognised design for Kastrup and Holmegaard glass, it is said that it became known as the Kluk Kluk or 'Cluck Cluck' decanter due to the distinctive sound made when pouring. Just as Gaudi was infamous for creating his designs to become as fitting to the human form as possible, this decanter was designed with a 'pinched waist', making it easy to maintain a grip when in use.
The quality of the glass is evident throughout the lithe yet sturdy form.
Excellent, no damage or evidence of use, there is light wear (such as movement marks on the base of the decanter) which is commensurable with age. Please see photos as part of the condition report.
MEASUREMENTS Per decanter: Height: c. 8.1" / 20.5 cm tall (without stopper) and c. 9.4" / 24 cm tall (with stopper) Per decanter: Width: 3.3" / 8.5 cm wide (across the base)
Unpackaged weight (both decanters): c. 1.2 kg / 1,228 g
NOTES Decanters will be securely packaged and shipping will be insured. Shipping will be combined for multiple items.
A BIT OF HISTORY
In 1847, Christian Danneskiold-Samsøe of Holmegaard established another glassworks, Kastrup Glassworks near Copenhagen, to accommodate growing need for a proper bottle production. Kastrup Glassworks exclusively produced glass bottles and in 1857. Kastrup Glassworks eventually closed in 1979 and in 1985, Holmegaard became a member of The Royal Copenhagen Group.
Jacob E Bang (1899 - 1965) is known as Denmark’s first industrial designer and the creator of functionalism in Danish glass. Graduating from the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts in 1921 as an architect, he began his career Kay Fisker’s design studio.
Jacob E. Bang’s glass design, which was popular and virtuosic, achieved great recognition and popularity, and today many of his works have become style icons and collectables. He believed his designs should be beautiful, strong and practical.
Bang was one of the few Danish designers of the time and won several medals at world exhibitions; Barcelona in 1929, Brussels in 1935, Paris in 1937 and New York 1939. From 1957-65, he was the artistic director of Kastrup Glassworks.