Germany has Fat Lava, France has Foam Lava, well - Iceland has Lava, real lava (that can be sharp to touch!) incorporated into their glaze.
The skill in creating this glaze is evident at every level, from the mottled chocolate foam brown glaze on the inside to the dark chocolate real lava - what I like to call the 'cocoa nibs' glaze on the outside. Its easy to see why these pieces are sought after and how the skill in creating them is being celebrated. The poetic colour palette of these early pieces reflect the Icelandic tundra the mineral, clay and lava was taken from.
A BIT OF HISTORY
Icelandic Ceramics pottery Glit Reykjavik Pottery is the only ceramic factory in Iceland and was founded by Ragnar Kjartansson, sculptor and ceramic artist (1923 - 1989) on June 10, 1958 together with Einar Eliasson, Pétur Saemundsen. Ragnar was a member of the Icelandic Sculptors Society which he established in the Icelandic capital in 1972 along with others.
Glit was adamantly devoted to utilising Icelandic clay and ground minerals in production during its first decade of operation—especially hardened lava. In many ways the studio, well ahead of its time—making deep impressions in the history of Icelandic ceramic art.
Many of the country’s best-known 20th century artists Glit at one point or another, remembering the place as an artistic breeding ground, especially during the time when Ragnar was in charge of the manufacturing workshop at Othinsgata. Technological advances and the desire to increase production led Glit to shift gears, moving them from Iceland’s history of art and design and into its industrial history.
All pieces are in excellent condition with no damage, there is some natural age related crazing in the Chalice bowl - please see photographs as part of condition report.
- Bottle Vase - unmarked.
- Flask Vase - bears original Glit sticker and numbered 11016
- Chalice Bowl - bears original Glit sticker
- Candle Holder - unmarked
- Large Broad Bowl - bears inscribed Glit insignia, original Glit sticker and numbered 11310
- Bottle Vase c. 7.5" / 18.5 cm high by c. 4" / 10.5 cm across the widest point. Unpackaged weight: c. 0.5 kg / 483 g
- SOLD Flask Vase c. 6.3" / 16 cm high by c. 4.3" / 11 cm across the widest point. Unpackaged weight: c. 0.5 kg / 470 g
- Chalice Bowl c. 5" / 13 cm high by c. 5.5" / 14 cm across the widest point. Unpackaged weight: c. 0.4 kg / 412 g
- Candle Holder c. 2.8" / 7 cm high by c. 3.6" / 9 cm across the widest point. Unpackaged weight: c. 0.2 kg / 213 g
- SOLD Large Broad Bowl c. 3.8" / 9.5 cm high by c. 8" / 20 cm across the widest point. Unpackaged weight: c. 1.4 kg / 1,393 g
Ceramics will be securely packaged and shipping will be insured. Please note that this listing is for the Glit ceramic pieces only. Shipping will be combined for multiple items.