This stunning and very tactile work of Art Nouveau design is by Bohemian glassworks Loetz (1836 - 1947) who were best known for their trailing, iridescent art glass. The abstract bottle and form of this piece is a gentle undulating flow of smooth and soft curves, with rounded thorn-like tips that give the impression of a cactus translated into art glass. The base colour of the glass is a lush Forest green which is overlaid with the blue-leaning rainbow iridescence.
The piece is finished with a silver collar accent (hallmarked to London Assay Office c. 1920s) which complements the elegant form and was common a common finishing touch to art glass design during the Art Nouveau period.
Superb. There are no chips, cracks or repair to the glass, there is a mild sanding at the rim that is visible as a result of the wear to the silver collar and also from the production process. There is significant and visible wear to the silver collar which can be left untouched for its antique charm or replaced if preferred. Please see photos as they form part of the condition report. The silver collar is hallmarked to the London Assay Office, 'HP&S' (Henry Perkins & Sons) c. 1920s.
Height: c. 8.3" / 21 cm (from base to rim) x max diameter: c. 3.3" / 8.5 cm. Rim diameter: c. 1.2" / 3.1 cm. Base diameter: c. 3.3" / 8.5 cm. Unpackaged weight: c. 0.2 kg / 240 g
Vase will be securely packaged and shipping will be insured. Shipping will be combined for multiple items.
A BIT OF HISTORY
Loetz was originally founded as Klášterský Mlýn in the Southern Bohemian town of Klostermühl during 1836. It would be 1851 before the glassworks was purchased by Frank Gerstner, who transferred it to his wife Susanne Loetz shortly before his death in 1855. Susanne would go on to lead the glassworks to great success and expansion, setting it on the path of international fame and a reputation which persists even now.
Loetz is best known for their broad range of designs for iridescent, trailing art glass, created during the Art Nouveau period (c. 1890 - 1910). At times, designs were created in collaboration with well-known artists and designers of the time such as Marie Kirschner and Franz Hofstötter (aka Franz Hofstätter).
Sadly, the transition into the Art Deco period (c. 1910 - 1940), the outbreak of World War I combined with The Great Depression in the late twenties and two significant fires set the glassworks on the road to decline. The final declaration of bankruptcy came in 1939, following the German invasion of Czechoslovakia with production fully ceasing in 1947.